Saturday, December 15, 2012

Atif dai ko Concert


‘Guess what Atif Aslam is coming to town!’ I squealed unable to hide my excitement. 
‘Oh mann! Just when I am not there!’ my friend exclaimed from the other side of the globe, yes we were talking over the phone.

We used to croon his song Oh jane ja in our hostel corridors, when we were studying in Bangalore. My friend managed to transfer her excitement as well as sorrow of not being able to attend the concert. And I promised her that I would go to the concert and share my experience.

So there I was stuck in traffic for 10 minutes, right outside Dasharath stadium. When I heard the band members playing I started getting super impatient. The music coming from within the walls of the stadium got me so excited that I had the desire to get out of the car and run towards the gate. Ironically the traffic was moving only inch by inch. I was anxious, as I did not want to miss the big entry.

Finally we reached the entrance, to my utter dismay massive crowd was jostling to enter a single door of a big gate of Dasharath stadium. The police meant for security gave the most horrible welcome when they barraged through my friends pocket and threw away his chapstick for security reasons. I said to myself all is well but what awaited us next was a python like queue. Thankfully the queue moved faster than we anticipated and eventually we entered the concert arena with a sigh of relief.

After few minutes Atif Aslam entered the stage, he ran in with a cool attitude, grabbed the microphone and started singing with a rockers attitude.  I have to confess until that moment I thought of Atif Aslam as more of a traditional singer. It was an image I had created of him after watching musical battle show Sur Kshetra in Colors TV. But here he was with the attitude of a rocker shaking up the stage with his ardent female fans shouting from the crowd Atif I Love You!

Atif Aslam sang variety of songs ranging from Bollywood to Sufi to his solo albums to songs from MTV Coke Studio. Personally I knew only two of his songs O jane ja and dooriii… I waited for him to sing these songs; in the meanwhile I started clicking away. This concert was a perfect opportunity for me to hone my skill for photography. Atif knew how to work the crowd and the poses he gave was just what I needed.























All in all Atif Aslam was quite an entertainer, with my busy schedule and IELTS exam the next day I somehow managed to go to Atif Aslam’s concert. This kind of concerts by international artists is a welcome relief to the young crowd of Nepal. Thanks to ODC Entertainment, we hope to enjoy many such concerts in the future.  

No comments:

Post a Comment